The Gyro Salad- Gettin' Back to My Roots

You remember the movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding? One of my favorites! My grandmother is EXACTLY like Toula's mother in that movie. I swear that I have this conversation every time we eat at my grandmothers house...
Maria Portokalos: Ian, are you hungry?
Ian Miller: Uh no, I already ate.
Maria Portokalos: Okay, I make you something.
Remember when I told you that my husband is all about anything from Hong Kong? Well, I'm mad about being Greek. My Great-Grandfather Kristos came over to America from Greece. Olive Oil runs through my veins. I have had fantasies about a good Gyro sandwich. (Remember people, that is pronounced "yeer-oh" not "gee-roh" not "jai-roh" the best English translation that I have come up with is "yeer-oh" with the y really being a soft gutteral and the r rolled with the second syllable slightly accented.)

Well, being low-carb kind of makes it hard to get a good Gyro Sandwich... (tear) so I figure that a good Gyro Salad can be just as tasty.
....................

Gyro Salad
Makes 2 LARGE salads (a big plate full) You can easily turn this into four servings if you would like to use as a smaller or side salad.)
7.2 Net Carbs 5.6 from Veggies

1/2 c Water
1 Beef Bullion Cube
2 tbs Olive Oil
1 minced Garlic Clove
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Oregano
1 lb Beef Sirloin Steak, thinly sliced (or lamb)
5 cups Lettuce (I used Romaine, but you can use what you have on hand)
1 Roma Tomato, diced
1 Small Cucumber (Or half of a seedless English Cucumber), thinly sliced
1/8 Red Onion, Thinly Sliced (As thin as you can)
1/4 c Feta Cheese

1. In a large resealable plastic bag combine the first six ingredients. Seal the bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight, or at least eight hours.
2. Cook beef on high heat until brown and cooked to preferred done-ness. Serve on a large plate atop lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion and feta. Drizzle with Tzatziki Sauce (see below).

Tzatziki Sauce
1.7 net carbs for about 1/4 cup of sauce

1 Medium Cucumber (or 1/2 seedless large English cucumber) (about a 1/2 cup processed)
1 Large Garlic Clove
1 c Sour Cream (I know I know... Grandpa Kristos is rolling in his grave, but no yogurt on induction so I use sour cream instead. The people at Atkins have said. " If you really want to eat yogurt, you should select regular unflavored plain yogurt and control your portion size. You should include the carb count in your total daily intake and budget for it." So, if you want to eat yogurt... go ahead, but this tastes pretty good with Sour Cream.
1 tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp Red Wine Vinegar
1 tsp Oregano

1. In a food processor, process cucumber and garlic until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl.
2. Add sour cream and remaining ingredients and mix well. Chill for at least 15-20 minutes to let the flavors meld.
This sauce can be kept in the refrigerator for up to a week in an airtight container.






1 comments:

Amy | Thursday, June 03, 2010 1:59:00 PM

OH MY GOSH! This looks soooo good! :)

Post a Comment