Southwestern Chicken Tomato Soup

I love easy, fast, one pot recipes.

This one was actually a mistake when I tried to make tortilla soup and I didn't have any of the ingredients. I ended up changing the whole recipe and boy did it work out. I love when I make a blunder in the kitchen and then my husband says, "Oh my gosh. This is so good!" (yay me!) I also like to double this recipe and eat it throughout the week for lunches. It is quite good reheated!

So here it is, a really successful blunder from my low-carb kitchen.

....................

Southwestern Chicken Tomato Soup
6.3 Net carbs per serving, 4.5 from Veg

4 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
2 tbs oil, olive or vegetable
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, separated
1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 c jalapeños, diced (use more or less depending on your spice preference)
1 small onion, sliced thinly
6 cups of water or chicken broth
6 chicken flavored bullion cubes (omit if using broth)
1 tbs Splenda

1. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan. Add 1 garlic clove and sauté until fragrant and the edges start to brown. Add the chicken and sauté until cooked through and nicely browned. Remove and set aside.
2. Add tomatoes and the rest of the garlic, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of your hot pan.
3. Add the chili powder, salt, oregano, jalapeños and onion while stirring regularly. Cook for 1 minute.
4. Add to the pot your water and bullion cubes (or broth, if using) and your 1 tbs Splenda. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium-low heat and let sit between a simmer and a boil for about 30 minutes. Serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment