Gimme Some (faux) Sugar!

Cupcakes. Really, who can say that they don't like cupcakes?!

They are pretty much a perfect food. They are one serving size, portable, and they fit in your hand. Plus they are pretty much delicious. Before my low-carb life, I made cupcakes on a weekly basis... and I can pretty much tell you that cupcake withdraws are worse than anything!

That is until, I modified a recipe from the the Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book (page 108). I was looking at the book after weeks of being sugar and flour free, and the recipe title caught my eye...

Flourless Chocolate Cupcakes...

I thought YES! Something I could have! HAPPY DAY!

But then I read farther, and realized that there would be so much sugar in the 1/2 cup sugar that the recipe calls for, the chocolate chips, and the optional scoop (or two!) of ice cream. "Suck." I say to myself... Just then, my little voice says,

"DUH Missy! Make them sugar free!"

Sure enough, I found sugar free semi sweet chocolate chips, and the lovely Splenda in my Pantry! I can make this! So I did, and now I'm sharing it with you...
....................

Flourless (Faux Sugar) Chocolate Cupcakes
makes 22 cupcakes (however when I made this recipe, it only made 16)
2 net carbs (w/0 ice cream) 7 net carbs with CarbSmart Ice cream


6 tbs unsalted butter
8 ounces sugar free chocolate chips
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup Splenda
Ice cream for serving (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners. Melt butter and chocolate together in a large heatproof bowl (or double boiler) set over a pan of boiling water. Stir to combine and remove and cool slightly. Slowly mix in egg yolks.
2. Whisk egg whites in a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the Splenda and beat until glossy (but do not over beat) Gently fold some whites into the chocolate mixture, and then fold the chocolate mix into the remaining whites.
3. Divide into lined cups and bake until just set in the center, about 25 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes from the tin. (Their centers will sink) Keep at room temperature until ready to serve, top with CarbSmart Ice Cream until ready to serve.
....................

1 comments:

Kate | Monday, May 31, 2010 1:17:00 AM

Melanie I love you!!! And your blog!!

Post a Comment