Faux-Rice

So, remember when I was telling you about how I dreamed about mashed potatoes? Well, I think that my husband dreams about rice.

Like I mentioned in the last post, my husband spent two years in Hong Kong and came back addicted to Asian cooking. The problem with Asian cooking and a low carb diet is that there are so many dishes that are thickened with a starch of some sort and are served with RICE. Well, rice and low carb don't get along, so after much searching, I found Cauliflower Rice!

Now, I'll be the first to admit that alone, it doesn't taste much like rice, but it is similar. However, when mixed with spices (see Herbed Rice entry in a few days!), topped with a bit of Tamari (note the carb count! 1 carb for 1 tbs!) with a yummy veggie and some meat on top (Like the Ginger Beef and Kale recipe!) it is quite the delicious substitute! Even my husband was surprised...
....................

You will need a food processor for this recipe. If you don't have one, go pick one up! There is SO MUCH you can do with a food processor. When ours broke, I felt like there was a void in my kitchen! I guess you could grate the cauliflower by hand, but I don't think it will turn out as well. The speed of the grating blade in the food processor is fast enough that it's nice clean cuts.

Faux Rice
Makes 6 heaping 1/2 cup servings
2.7 Net Carbs, 2.7 from veggies

1-medium head of cauliflower, cut into florets (I know! That's it! One ingredient recipe! YEAH!)

1. Take your florets and run them through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment.

Okay, there are two ways that you can do this... you can either:
2. Transfer grated cauliflower into a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 7 minutes stirring once halfway through.

OR
2. Fit a steamer (or rice cooker with your steaming attachment) with a piece of cheesecloth. Steam for 5-10 minutes over hot steam.

Either way works great. I admit, I usually run it in the microwave because I don't want to get out another appliance to steam the rice... but to each their own!

Serve immediately. This can be kept in the refrigerator in air-tight Tupperware for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave until hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment