Faux- tatoes


"Mmmm.... mashed potatoes... with butter...sour cream...garlic...mmmm....."
....................

I think that my husband can attest that I have said this in my sleep.

(Yes I dream about mashed potatoes, I've actually had a dream once that I was sliding down a mountain of mashed potatoes on a sled made of butter... Don't you?! ...No? ...Never?! Well, you are obviously missing out.)

Clearly, I would have greatly missed mashed potatoes while eating a low carb diet. Actually, I DID greatly miss mashed potatoes! But, I have found an answer... Mashed Cauliflower. "What?!" you might say, "Mashed Cauliflower?! It turns out like mashed potatoes!?"

Yes. Yes my friend. It does. (It even kinda looks like them too!)

For this recipe I suggest using an Immersion Blender. It makes this SO much easier. You can pick one up at Bed Bath and Beyond for 17 bucks... (or you can pay $100 for a really nice one, but the one that is $17 will do just as good of a job!)
....................

Mashed faux-tatoes
makes 6 heaping 1/2 cups of faux-tatoes
5.5 Net Carbs, 2.3 from veggies

-5 cups Cauliflower Florets (about 1 medium head of cauliflower)
-1 Garlic Clove, flattened
-2 tbs + 1 tsp Salt
-2 tbs Butter
-2 tbs Sour Cream
-2 tbs Heavy Cream
-1/4 c Parmesan Cheese
-1 tbs Black Pepper


Directions:
1. Put your Cauliflower Florets and garlic in a large pot and fill with water until just covered. Add 2 tbs salt. Boil Cauliflower on med-hi for 8-10 minutes, or until Caluliflower is tender.
2. Using a large colander, strain the water from the Cauliflower, and shake well to remove as much water as you can. Transfer back to hot pot.
3. Add butter, and let melt a bit. Using and immersion blender (see? told you it would come in handy!) blend the cauliflower until light and fluffy. (This leaves a few lumps in the faux-tatoes which I really like... but if you like your mashed potatoes really smooth, you could always use a food processor.) Add sour cream and heavy cream and mix well. Add Parmesan Cheese and mix. Top with pepper, or mix it in. Serve Immediately.

You can refrigerate this recipe in an air-tight container for up to 3 days

0 comments:

Post a Comment